Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ochre Wooden Toys

These cute movable wooden toys are from the Ochre Store. See the store here.

Finding these totally took me on a journey to a memory of my youth. My family lived in the mountains in Pennsylvania outside of a city called Uniontown. I remember the ride to Uniontown was about an hour down a huge mountain. Often times we would stop halfway down the mountain, at this religious commune called "The Society of Brothers". They made the most amazing simplistic wooden toys. I remember how fun it was to play in their "showroom". I did my best to find some images of their work but part of their religion doesn't allow them to be photographed. So nothing came up on my search. There is something to be said about wooden toys , especially compared to the commercial logo and brand driven toys of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment